Filipino Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Explained

Republic Act No. 9225 or the Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act of 2003, is a law that grants natural-born Filipinos who lost their citizenship through naturalization in a foreign country, the opportunity to retain or re-acquire their Filipino citizenship.


Natural-born citizens are those who are citizens of the Philippines from birth without having to perform any act to acquire or prefect their Filipino citizenship.

These are:

  1. Those whose fathers or mothers are citizens of the Philippines at the time of birth; and,
  2. Those born before 17 January 1973 of Filipino mothers, who chose Filipino citizenship at the age of majority.


If the applicant was born in the Philippines and acquired foreign citizenship through naturalization, he should submit NSO-authenticated copy of his birth certificate.

If the applicant was born abroad and acquired foreign citizenship by territory (jus soli), he should submit a copy of the Report of Birth or Birth Registration issued by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate and, if necessary,  the original copy of the Birth Certificate issued by the Registry Office or equivalent government office in the country of citizenship.


Prior to the making of R.A. 9225, some Filipinos obtained dual citizenship through the Nationality Laws of the Philippines and other foreign countries.

A child born in the United States of America (USA) of Filipino parents is an American citizen under the American Law; and, is a Filipino citizen under the Philippine law. The child’s American citizenship is derived from the principle of jus soli or right of place. While his Filipino citizenship is derived from the principle of jus sanguinis or right of blood. The child however, does not fully exercise his rights as a dual citizen in either country.

Consequently, the enactment of R.A. 9225 gives the child the right to obtain his parent’s citizenship or regain his ancestral citizenship, and entitles him to exercise his rights as a Filipino citizen without losing his foreign citizenship. It is, thus, possible for Filipinos to hold dual citizenship by birth.

As interpreted, a child of a Filipino citizen (at the time of birth) and of a foreign citizen (e.g. British) born in Britain, who adheres to the jus sanguinis principle, is a dual citizen and is allowed to acquire both Filipino and British passports.

Nevertheless, a child of a Filipino citizen (at the time of birth) and of a foreign citizen (e.g. Australian) whose country adheres to the jus sanguinis principle, born in a foreign country (e.g. USA) who adheres to the jus soli principle can acquire Filipino, Australian and American passports.


A natural-born Filipino who obtained foreign citizenship through naturalization will not lose his current citizenship upon re-acquisition of Filipino citizenship, under the provisions of this Act.


The Oath of Allegiance is the final act that grants Filipino citizenship. It reads as follows:

“I,________________, solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the Republic of the Philippines and obey the laws and local orders promulgated by the duly constituted authorities of the Philippines, and I hereby declare that I recognise and accept the supreme authority of the Philippines and will maintain true faith and allegiance thereto, and that I impose this obligation upon myself voluntarily without mental reservation or purpose of evasion.”


The granting of Filipino citizenship under the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of this Act is not subject to the confirmation of the Secretary of Justice. However, it can be revoked by any legal authority if obtained through fraudulence, misrepresentation or deception.


Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

6 thoughts on “Filipino Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Explained

  1. Hi, I’ve just grant a british citizenship and wanting to have filipino citizenship again. Is it possible to make my application in the Philippines as I plan to stay there for quite a while?

  2. Hi MasterCitizen,

    I would just like to clarify if a child was born abroad (USA) from Filipino parents (both) and holds an American passport, a Philippine passport, and has a Report of Birth from the Philippine Consulate in Los Angeles, do the child still need to get an Identification Certificate from the Bureau of Immigration? Is the child under R.A. 9225? What passport will the child use when travelling overseas (departing Manila)?

    1. Personally, since the child is holding dual citizenship, having an NSO copy of his birth certificate, then the child enjoy Filipino privileges as a citizen.
      The Identification certificate may apply only for naturalize immigrants, though it would be best to check with the BI.
      I think the child is safely under RA9225, considering that he had Filipino parents.
      Passport? My safest bet would be to use the Philippine passport when you depart Manila. Depends where you are headed though.

      To make things clearer, you can get on touch with:
      Dual Citizenship Hotline
      +632 301-0756 | +632 309-7751 (Fax)

      1. Hi.

        Last time , I lost my certificate of Re Acquisitional Retention of Phil. Citizenship. It is possible to get a original new one? Please help me i really need it.

        Thank you !

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: