A misspelled first name on your birth certificate can be detrimental to important transactions like applying for a passport or claiming an inheritance. If you have a couple of letters missing or added to your first name, have it corrected as soon as you can.
Here are the list of requirements and steps to follow when filing a petition for correction of a misspelled first name for single individuals (not married):
- 2 copies of PSA birth certificate (formerly NSO) to be corrected.
- 2 copies of baptismal certificate.
- 2 copies of school records (Elementary and High School either F-137/138 or Certification or College (Transcript of Records).
- 2 certified copies of voter’s registration record/voter’s affidavit (COMELEC).
- 2 latest original NBI Clearance (purpose: For Change of Name)
- 2 latest original PNP Clearance (purpose: For Change of Name)
- 2 copies of valid IDs of the petitioner and the document owner and 1 copy of latest community tax certificate from the place of work or residence.
- Other documents which the Office may consider relevant and necessary for the approval of the Petition (GSIS/SSS Records, school diploma, medical records, business records, school records, service records, insurance, certificate of land title, passbook, etc.)
- SPA (Special Power of Attorney), if the petitioner is not the document owner (ex. auntie, uncle, godparents, client, friend, colleague, etc.)
Reminders and Fees:
- All civil documents (birth, marriage, and death) to be submitted should be the latest certified local copy when issued in Manila. If issued outside Manila, present the PSA birth certificate (on PSA Security Paper).
- Submit all requirements to R.A. 9048 receiving table for assessment and initial interview. Please bring all original documents and IDs and proceed to Table 1.
- Proceed to the Computer Table for the preparation of Petition Paper.
- Line up for the final interview. The city hall follows a first-come, first-served policy for interviews.
- Proceed to Room 214 (City Legal’s Office) to have the petition notarized.
- Pay the following fees at the Tax Payer’s Lounge:
- Registration Fee – P1,000
- True Copy Fee – P230
- Transmittal Fee – P210
- Receiving and filing of petition paper and all documents. You may also secure a schedule for follow-ups at Table 3.
The City Hall of Manila does not conduct interviews during Fridays.