This year, we had two Fridays that fell on the 13th day of the month – once in January and the last one today, October 13th. And once again, social media sites are peppered with trivia and memes about this supposedly unlucky day.
So why is Friday the 13th considered unlucky in most countries? Although there are no written evidences to prove that this day is indeed wretched, the date has long been connected to unfavorable events in history. So to quell our curiosity, we did a short research to find out how this day became so popularly unpopular. We hope you’ll like today’s feature on what is believed to be the unluckiest day of the year.
If we trace back to biblical traditions, we will remember that there were 13 guests who attended the Last Supper: Jesus and His 12 disciples. The dinner was held on Maundy Thursday, and on the following day, a Friday, Jesus was crucified.
It is believed that this started one of the most common superstitions related to the number 13: that it is bad luck to have 13 guests eating at a table.
Friday the 13th could not be tackled without remembering the events on October 13, 1307 – yes, a Friday. It was on this day when hundreds of Knights Templar were arrested and burnt across France. The Knights were a powerful religious and military order formed in the 12th century for the defense of the Holy Land.
Bad Luck Friday and Unlucky 13
- In traditional decks of Tarot Cards, the 13th card bears a skeleton with a sickle. Numerologists consider the number 13 as a symbol of fear and disorder.
- Modern skyscrapers do not have a 13th floor, going straight from 12 to 14. Airlines also avoid the number for seat rows and arrival gates.
- Weddings, drafting of contracts, business launching, trips, and other important events are usually planned to avoid the 13 day of the month, especially if the date falls on a Friday.
- Contrary to popular belief, it is lucky to meet a black cat on Friday the 13th.
- It is lucky to touch wood if you want to make something come true. “Knock on wood!”
- It is lucky to find a clover plant with four leaves.
- A horseshoe over the door brings good luck. It just needs to be the right way up, making a U sign on the door or wall. Luck runs out of the horseshoe if it is upside down.
- It is unlucky to walk underneath a ladder.
- Seven years of bad luck awaits anyone who breaks a mirror.
- It is unlucky to see one magpie; lucky to see two.
- It is unlucky to spill salt. If you do, you must throw it over your shoulder to counteract the bad luck.
- Unlucky to open an umbrella indoors.
Do you believe that Friday the 13th is an unlucky day? What specific superstitious beliefs do you still observe until today?