Do you have a senior citizen in the family? We do and we have a lot of them (haha!). That is why it pays to be aware of their benefits and privileges, provided by the government and some private establishments.
I am sharing the following lists of discounts, mandatory benefits, and important facts about senior citizen privileges. If you find this helpful, please share it to families and friends so more people can benefit from this information.
Discounts and VAT Exemptions:
- Medicines – Generic and branded medicines, vitamins, and mineral supplements (with doctor’s prescription).
- Medical supplies and equipment – Hearing aids, eyeglasses, wheelchairs, crutches, dentures, etc.
- Medical and dental services in private facilities – Lab tests such as blood tests, x-rays, etc.
- Professional fees – of attending physicians and licensed health workers.
- Domestic air and sea travel fares
- Public land transportation fares – Jeepneys, buses, taxis, shuttle services, MRT, LRT, PNR, etc.
- Hotels – Accommodation and amenities in hotels, beach resorts, mountain resorts, etc.
- Restaurants – Food, beverages, dessert, and other consumables for a dine-in, take-out, drive-thru, and delivery orders.
- Recreation centers – Rental and other fees for sports facilities such as gyms, badminton courts, tennis courts, ballroom dancing studios, bowling lanes, etc.
- Places of leisure – Cinemas, museums, parks, theaters, concert halls, etc.
- Funeral and burial services – for deceased senior citizens, hospital morgue, embalming, casket or urn, cremation, etc.
Aside from the 20% senior citizen discount and VAT exemption, Filipino seniors also enjoy many other privileges such as:
- Income tax exemption – for minimum wage earners.
- Training fee exemption – on socio-economic programs.
- Free medical and dental services – in government facilities
- Free flu and pneumococcal vaccinations – for indigent senior citizens.
- Scholarships and financial assistance – for seniors’ education in public and private schools.
- Retirement benefits from SSS, GSIS, and Pag-IBIG
- Discounts in special programs – for senior citizens
- Express lanes for senior citizens – in all government offices and commercial establishments.
Next week, we are going to feature more facts about senior citizen privileges that some Pinoys may not know yet. Visit us again!