My friend remembers that one of the most challenging things she had to accomplish for her wedding was securing a marriage license. She recalls having a handful of questions about it but not being able to find anything of value online. She ended up visiting the Quezon City hall where she finally got a list of the things she needs to prepare, the fees she needs to pay, and answers to her FAQs.
Her experience inspired me to write today’s blog and I hope that this too can help other would-be brides and grooms in preparing for their wedding (at least on getting the marriage license part, haha!). Here are the questions she had in mind then; I turned them into FAQs!
Can I apply for a marriage license in Metro Manila even if my wedding will be held in Baguio? I work in Manila and have lived her (temporarily) for seven years. I was born and raised in Baguio.
Yes, you can. Actually, you can apply for a marriage license at any of the following areas:
- Where you or your fiance reside.
- At your or your fiance’s hometown.
Just remember that when applying for a marriage license, you need to personally appear at the city hall or municipal hall – you cannot send a representative to secure the license for you.
You can use the marriage license anywhere in the Philippines.
What are the requirements I need to prepare?
- Duly accomplished marriage license application form (four copies).
- PSA birth certificates of the bride and groom.
- PSA Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR)
- Certificate or proof that you have completed the required marriage counseling or seminar. There are some cities and municipalities that require the couple to attend the marriage counseling and the family planning seminar even if you have attended this before. Always check with the city hall and don’t be surprised if this is part of their requirements.
- Government-issued IDs such as your passport, UMID, Voter’s ID, SSS or GSIS, etc.
- Of course, your personal appearance.
Any other additional requirements I should know of?
Some city halls may require you to submit additional documents so it is best to have the following ready as well:
- Baptismal certificate
- Residence certificate/Tax certificate/CEDULA
Prepare photocopies of your documents as the city hall is sure to ask for copies for their records.
How do I file for a marriage license?
Once you have all the documents ready, you can file your application at the city or municipal hall of your choice.
Marriage license fees range between Php 280 to Php 350. You can verify at the Treasurer’s office before you begin your transaction, just to be sure.
You will be issued a receipt after payment; this shall also serve as your claim stub. Normally, a marriage license is released within 10 days after filing and payment.
Your marriage license is valid only for 120 days from the date of issue. If you do not get married within the prescribed period, you will have to go through the entire process of securing a marriage license again, including the seminars.
If this article helped you share it with someone too!