Is your passport expiring soon? Or are you planning to finally get yourself a passport now that you have more time (since most employers have eased the work schedules of their staff)?
I did a quick research on the application process for new passports and passport renewals and am sharing my findings below. Take note that due to the pandemic, the DFA now encourages everyone to make online appointments instead of using the priority lanes, even if you are qualified for it (senior citizen, pregnant women, single parents, minors, PWD). Only dire cases (determined by the DFA) will be accommodated for walk-in applications. So, to be safe, make an appointment online!
- Log on to www.passport.gov.ph and choose Schedule an Appointment. Go over the terms and conditions texts and make sure to tick the box to signify your understanding and agreement.
- Click on the Start Individual Appointment button if you are applying only for yourself and the Start Group Appointment if you are applying for others as well.
- On the electronic form, choose the DFA site where you wish to apply for or renew your passport. You might want to screenshot or take note of the site’s address and phone numbers if this is your first time to visit that branch.
- You will be shown the available dates and time for the branch you chose. Choose your preferred date and time and choose quickly because the page will expire if it does not detect any activity. Also, don’t miss the captcha check at the bottom of the page. I observed that there are no weekend dates available.
- Fill out the electronic form with your personal details including a working email and mobile number. Also make sure to have your old passport ready because the system will ask for your old passport number, date of issue, and issuing agency.
- The regular processing fee is P950 and a 12-working-day wait before your passport is ready for pick-up. The rush processing fee is P1,200 and you get your passport in 6 working days’ time for Metro Manila applications and 7 working days for provincial applications.
- You can pay at any of the following payment channels:
- Bayad Center branches
- 7-11 Ecpay
- Make sure to get a reference number first before paying. You will be asked for this when you make a payment.
- If you are paying for multiple orders, pay separately for each reference number. One transaction per reference number.
- The system will consider your appointment official only after you make a payment. From the time you complete your application online, you are given 24 hours to make a payment. Otherwise, the system will open the date and time you reserved and will be made available for other applicants.
- You will receive a confirmation email as soon as payment is processed and confirmed.
On the day of your appointment, be at the DFA branch of your choice at least 30 minutes ahead of your appointment. If you are applying for a passport for the first time (adult), bring a copy of your PSA certificate of live birth and PSA certificate of marriage (for married women).
And that’s how you get an appointment with the DFA to get your first passport or have your old one renewed. Remember that your passport cannot be used for travel if it has 6 months or less validity on it so make sure that yours is up to date.
If you have any questions, you can send me an email and I will do my best to find the answers for you.