The details in a death certificate must be accurate – I cannot stress that enough. The subject of a death certificate could no longer contest or dispute the errors in this document that is why it is the family’s responsibility to ensure that this document is, to put it bluntly, faultless.
If a family member’s death certificate has errors, you need to have it corrected or addressed as soon as possible. In today’s blog are some of the most common errors found in PSA death certificates and what you can do to correct these.
- Errors in the first name of the deceased in the Certificate of Death.
- The name of the deceased in the death certificate can be corrected through RA 9048. The petition for correction of entries may be filed by the spouse of the deceased, his/her children, parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, guardian, or any other person authorized by law.
- A lawyer or any other person may file the petition provided that a special power of attorney be given by the persons in the preceding sentence.
- Aside from the requirements for the petition for correction of entries, the death certificate of the deceased should be attached to the petition.
- The petitioner may file at the LCRO where the COD was registered or at any LCRO through the process of migrant-petition.
- Error in the date and place of death.
- Proceed to the LCRO where the death was registered and file a petition for correction of entries under the procedures of RA 9048.
- Blurred/unreadable entries.
- Proceed to the LCRO of the place where the death was registered and request for endorsement of a clear/readable copy of the COD to PSA, if available. LCRO file copy is also blurred or has unreadable entries, request the LCRO for endorsement of Municipal Form 2-A.
- No entries in some items.
- A supplemental report may be filed at the LCRO where the death certificate was registered.
- Requirements when filing a supplemental report at the LCRO are:
- Affidavit of Supplemental Report on missing entries
- Supplemental report using the COD form
- Copy of COD from PSA
- Negative results at PSA
- Request the LCRO of the place where the COD was registered to endorse a copy of the COD to the PSA.
These were all lifted from the PSA website. If there are other errors not mentioned here, you can send us a message and we will try our best to find the answers for you.
Hope you found this piece helpful 😊