How to Correct the Year of Birth on Your PSA Birth Certificate

An error in your birth month and or date (in your PSA birth certificate) can be corrected by filing a petition for correction of clerical error under RA 10172. This must be filed at the local civil registry office of the city or municipality where your birth was registered. Take note though that the “error” will be reviewed by the LCR first in order to determine of it is indeed only clerical.  Should they find the error to be more than that, they may recommend a different approach to solve your birth certificate problem. So, the best way to find out how you can have your birth month and or date corrected is by visiting the LCR in your city or municipal hall.

But what if the problem or error is your year of birth? Will this also be accepted as a typographical error and be corrected by simply filing a petition for correction?

According to the PSA and a lawyer columnist I follow in the Manila Times, RA 10172 does not apply to errors on the year of birth in a birth certificate. Rather, the petition for correction must be filed before the Regional Trial Court of the city or municipality where the birth certificate was registered in order for the correction to be applied.

The petition may be filed by the birth certificate owner himself or his mother.  It must also be supported by the owner’s certified true machine copy of birth certificate, public and private documents which clearly show his correct year of birth, and other documents that can further prove his year of birth such as his earliest school records, medical records, baptismal certificate, etc.

The petitioner must wait for the court’s decision on the petition and if granted, a certified copy of the court’s decision will be served to the LCR for proper annotation on the petitioner’s birth certificate.

The fees involved in this type of correction will be determined by the LCR and the court where the petition will be submitted.

If you have more questions about correcting errors in a person’s birth certificate, just post your comment and I will do my best to find the answers for you.

Till our next blog!


Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

4 thoughts on “How to Correct the Year of Birth on Your PSA Birth Certificate

    1. Hello po! Subukan niyo pong mag request ng kopya ng birth certificate niyo sa pinaka malapit na NSO office (PSA office). Kung may makukuha silang copy, ibig sabihin may birth certificate ka.

  1. …good eve po,,,ano po ang best way para maitama ang “gender” sa birth certificate ng akong anak,,, salamat po ang more power…

    1. Petition for correction of clerical error po. Mag inquire po kayo sa LCR kung saan naka rehistro ang birth certificate niya kung ano ang mga required documents at kung may fees na kailangang bayaran para sa pag file ng petition.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: